Neighbors I’ve never met before are starting to talk to me.
“Stunning!” one man said to my husband and I last week as he came down the street to get his mail.
“It’s really beautiful!” said another man.
A woman stopped her car in the middle of the road, rolled down her window, and yelled out that she thinks it’s beautiful.
They are full of compliments . . . and we’re not even done yet!
With the concrete now poured, they’re starting to get a better idea of what we’re planning.
I still think they’re going to be pretty surprised at how it looks once everything starts growing in.
Even after it looks “done” it won’t be done. Of course, a garden is never really done. It’s living and growing, ever changing.
The climbing roses will cover the house walls, and that won’t be obvious at all for a few years.
The trees will grow bigger, the hedges will fill in, and the bushes will grow larger, and be rounded.
The show that really won’t be obvious, however, is the flowers that will be there by next spring.
Some are just a few months away. I’m sowing seeds after we put everything in. Then we wait for the thousands of flowers that will come.
My plan is for a year-round show of flowers. I have flowers planned for every season. All of them will be white.
Since my last update, we have:
Removed the first pile huge of dirt from the driveway to our neighbor’s backyard, using the borrowed backhoe. He wanted it and we didn’t have to rent a dumpster, so that was a positive for us.
Took the load of concrete, sod, the tree root, and other “junk” from the yard to the dump, thanks to a friend who let us load up his very old dump truck to take a load to the dump.
I purchased and planted 3 dwarf Meyer lemon trees that will be grown as a hedge in the upper planter. They were on sale and I used a $20 off coupon as well. Right now they are being watered by hand.
We dug and installed pipes for the water that will eventually be connected to our drip lines.
We have dug and compressed dirt in the front to have it ready to set forms for concrete.
The forms were set.
Concrete was poured and stamped.
They returned to cut lines in the concrete.
We dug out the old dirt around the forms, in preparation for new dirt. We got rid of yet another pile of dirt after that (the photo above is the pile of dirt after we dug out again right around the poured forms.) This pile was much smaller than the first one.
We brought new dirt in, worked on the valves some more, and attached black flexible piping to the PVC piping.
We returned the backhoe!
I bought and painted the urn that will go in the center circle. I have also chosen what plants will go in it (I had not previously decided which plants I would be using in it when I designed my initial plan. I now have a plan for summer plants and one for winter/spring plants).
I need to plant the potted plants that are going in.
I will be attaching drip lines to the black flex hose, and pinning them down the right places with metal stakes.
My husband will work to concrete the column into the center circle, and attach the urn to the column. He also will be running water up through the center of the column and into the urn. Then we will fill in the center section with good dirt.
He will be finishing the valves and installing the valve boxes. We will then finish putting in dirt around the valve boxes, and then all of the dirt will be in.
I will be planting seeds after the drip lines are in.
Hopefully, all of those things can be done this week!
There are still some more things to do, but getting the above things done this week are my goals (My husband may or may not plan to tackle the column this week). It should be getting hotter again towards the end of the week (possibly 120º by Friday), so I really want to get it done before then. It’s going to be some hot work this week!
Previous posts about our front garden plans: