When you get married, you each bring certain items with you. One of the things my husband brought was this bench. It was old and worn even then. Somewhere in our second year of marriage I repainted the metal ends and did a slight sanding to the slats, but it still looked pretty similar.
It sat on the front walk by our old house for many years, and when we moved here it sat by the front door until April of this year.
A few years ago I saw a picture of some peaches on a black bench on Helene’s blog. I instantly knew what the bench needed: black paint. However, the funds to purchase paint were non-existent, so it sat there looking just the same.
This year, however, I was able to get some black paint. My husband bought a quart of Valspar satin paint that is good for both metal and wood. With the help of my boys, the bench was taken apart. I painted the metal ends and the metal center strip.
The bench slats were quite warped, and several were split at the ends where the screws were supposed to hold them to the bench. My husband said that those slats were going to have to be replaced, which was not an inexpensive fix. So I waited again.
Meanwhile, we started taking out the rocks in the front yard by hand. I was raking and shoveling the landscaping rocks into a wheelbarrow (we gave the rocks to neighbors who needed their rocks replaced where they had become thin) when my mom drove up. I mentioned the bench slat dilemma to her, and while we were talking, she looked to the end of the street, where a neighbor had just put these two benches out for the trash.
My husband and I walked down to the end of the street and carried those two benches home.
I was just recently able to work on the bench.
The boys again helped me to remove the slats off of the two “new” benches.
My husband and I chose the straightest, nicest slats from the three benches. In the end, we only kept a few of the slats from my original oak bench. The rest came from the two teak benches from the neighbor.
I sanded the slats.
My dad cut three slats down to be skinnier, as the original bench had 3 skinnier slats. (Which I ended up putting back in the wrong places! I won’t be moving them any time soon, however).
We found that the holes didn’t perfectly line up between the two slats, so my dad also cut the ends of the slats off.
My husband redrilled the holes for me. They’re a two-part hole so that the screws can sit in them.
I sanded some more and painted them with two coats of paint.
The boys and I painstakingly put the slats back on. It was a three-person job, holding up the heavy iron ends and getting the slats on.
My husband screwed the metal support piece on the back and helped to tighten the nuts on the back of the slats. We used screw from the neighbor’s benches, as they were not rusty like the ones from my original bench.
We then carried the bench to its new resting place in the white garden. I touched up the paint on the slats where it was needed. I’m really happy with it in the garden now!
The roses are covered in buds right now. In a couple of days they’ll be open and I’ll take pictures of the white garden for the white garden reveal!
Update: You can see the details of my white garden in my white garden reveal post.
This post is linked to the following link parties:
The Scoop, Inspire Me Tuesdays, Furniture Feature Friday, Wow Us Wednesdays, Whimsy Wednesdays, Crystal and Co, My Girlish Whims, Thistlewood Farms, The Vintage Farmhouse, My Romantic Home, Jennifer Rizzo, Feathered Nest Friday, Frugal Friday, From My Front Porch to Yours,